Sunday 1 September 2013

The End of the Journey!

We come to the end of our two remaining DofE girls time in India. They have completed their Gold Duke of Edinburgh residential with us here in Rajasthan, a fantastic achievement, well done girls! 
Lucy and Kerry in the van on the way to the school for their final day of teaching. 
Lucy with Tinki, a girl in her class who she grew to be especially fond of!
Lucy: "Overall India has been an amazing experience. I felt like I made a real difference in the school and destitute boys home and also learnt a lot myself. The excursions were incredible and everyone who I met during my time in India was kind and respectful. 
I did not want to leave Rajasthan, I hope to return in the next few years. I feel so lucky to have had this opportunity and I hope lots of others will have it in the future too"
Kerry getting very emotional at the destitute boys home when saying her goodbyes!
A beautiful farewell meal with our fellow volunteers. The amazing surrounding views were of city palace and lake palace at sunset!
A trip to a sheesha bar with fellow volunteers!
Kerry: "My time here has been magical and a once in a lifetime experience. I have so many highlights...the children at the school and the boys home and getting to understand the Indian culture. 
The excursions I experienced were mesmerising and this trip has made me feel fortunate to have experienced such things. 
Along the way I have definitely faced challenges which have mainly been cross-cultural differences. But I feel I have overcome these by the help and support of all at Channel Youth, the volunteer house and the Basti Ram team. 
This trip is something I will remember for a long time, totally inspirational...thank you!"
On behalf of all the Basti Ram team, a big thank you to all four of our Gold Duke of Edinburgh girls, and good luck for the future!

If you would like information about future DofE residentials, to find out more about the innovative work we do or how you can get involved in any of our projects please visit www.bastiram.org or email bastiram.uk@gmail.com or call +44 7515 857 865

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Cassie, for doing this fantastic blog, it really shows the fantastic time we all had. Now i am at home i realize how much India has affected me....i miss it so much!!

    ReplyDelete